[spoiler free] This took me (not even) two days to read in the middle of urgently having to write a term paper. Always a good sign for a book (and a bad sign for the term paper).
I've read that some people were a little disappointed because the focus of this book was on the case and not so much on character developement or whatever, there was hardly any LoVe, or that it was not written from her point of view... - the last one I kind of agree with, just because it feels different from the series (+ the movie) to not have her "inner dialog" and wit all the time.
But then - good news for all (even potential) VM enthusiasts everywhere - there are all the good things about this book:
1) There is more Veronica Mars. ("She's back", my backers t-shirt states. There, I'm outed.) A brand new story, thought of by Rob Thomas himself (the author, not the musician, as Rob would make sure to clarify^^). Here's the gist of my rewiew: More VM ist always better than less VM.
2) Things happen! Familiar faces reappear. There is actual developement in the VM world - important, new stuff happens in Neptune and in Veronica's life that will be relevant beyond this book or this particular case the book revolves around. And: All o it is officially part of the canon now and you don't want to miss it.
3) The withdrawal ends. Veronica is now definately back in the game and mostly the same person everybody missed during the last years. Almost back to her old shape as well. There could be more jokes and epic cultural references I guess - maybe hard to translate into a book (I also really miss her occasional "look of disdain" / "over-the-moon-face"). But quite a few of the usual suspects, uhm, characters are also back in all their glory and make up for all of that if necessary.
4) There is a little about the background story and the aftermath of the characters and what happened in / since the movie. The book takes place about 2 months after the movie ends.
5) The case is actually pretty good! Not as exciting as some of the story lines in the series maybe, but thrilling at times, never slow and well told - the book was a page turner. Also: I'm hooked, again. If I was ever unhooked. I really look forward to the next book because I'm excited to see how all of this developement will turn out.
6) It's simply just a lot of fun to read. Pleasant writing.
4.5 Stars for this as a book - with a little room for improvement. Pretty good, when you take into account the high expectations I have when it comes to Rob's story telling skills. 5 Stars for the happiness it brings :)
2 Personen fanden diese Informationen hilfreich.
War diese Rezension für Sie hilfreich?