Am höchsten bewertete kritische Rezension
8 Personen fanden diese Informationen hilfreich
The worst Lonely Planet I've ever used
am 1. Januar 2013
Like the other two reviewers, I bought this brand new Lonely Planet (LP) on Sri Lanka due to having good experience in the past with LP and it being just out of the press.
I just got back from Sri Lanka and I can only say that this is the worst travel guide book for low-budget/mid-range travelers I've ever seen. I've regularly used LPs (minimum 12 LP books) in the last 15 years or so. But this one is just off or LP now aims for a different group of travelers.
1. A high percentage of the "Top choice" sleeping locations are in the price range of USD 50 and up, some even in the price range of USD 200-300. For comparison: one can easily find reasonably good/safe/clean places for LKR 1500-3000 (EUR 9-18) and even below.
2. Many places/sights/transport were very badly researched or wrong
3. In Kandy, a sleeping place I chose in the LP was denoted with LKR 2200, when I arrived there the owner was very upset with LP as on a daily basis he has to "fight off" customers and upset them as he can only offer in the high price range; according to the owner LP authors never asked or contacted him about the price. (In the end I didn't stay there either.)
4. Many of the additional informations and "stories" in the book are rather empty in content
5. Several contact phone numbers/email addresses are outdated or invalid now
During my travel I discussed my experience with this LP with other travelers and they had the same or similar impression.
One positive aspect: I do like the new layout; but I guess that is just personal taste.
In the future I will research better on the travel guide books; Unfortunately Moon Handbooks produce only very few guide books as I had awesome experience with any of the books I used by them.