- Taschenbuch: 478 Seiten
- Verlag: For Dummies; Auflage: 2 (19. Dezember 2008)
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-10: 0470385138
- ISBN-13: 978-0470385135
- Größe und/oder Gewicht: 18,3 x 2,8 x 23,1 cm
- Durchschnittliche Kundenbewertung: 1 Kundenrezension
- Amazon Bestseller-Rang: Nr. 106.888 in Fremdsprachige Bücher (Siehe Top 100 in Fremdsprachige Bücher)
- Komplettes Inhaltsverzeichnis ansehen
Storage Area Networks for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Englisch) Taschenbuch – 19. Dezember 2008
|Neu ab||Gebraucht ab|
Wird oft zusammen gekauft
Kunden, die diesen Artikel gekauft haben, kauften auch
Es wird kein Kindle Gerät benötigt. Laden Sie eine der kostenlosen Kindle Apps herunter und beginnen Sie, Kindle-Bücher auf Ihrem Smartphone, Tablet und Computer zu lesen.
Geben Sie Ihre Mobiltelefonnummer ein, um die kostenfreie App zu beziehen.
Wenn Sie dieses Produkt verkaufen, möchten Sie über Seller Support Updates vorschlagen?
If you've been charged with setting up storage area networks for your company, learning how SANs work and managing data storage problems might seem challenging. "Storage Area Networks For Dummies, 2nd Edition" comes to the rescue with just what you need to know. Whether you are already a bit SAN savvy or you're a complete novice, here's the scoop on how SANs save money, how to implement new technologies like data de-duplication, iScsi, and Fibre Channel over Ethernet, how to develop SANs that will aid your company's disaster recovery plan, and much more. For example, you can: understand what SANs are, whether you need one, and what you need to build one; learn to use loops, switches, and fabric, and design your SAN for peak performance; create a disaster recovery plan with the appropriate guidelines, remote site, and data copy techniques; discover how to connect or extend SANs and how compression can reduce costs; compare tape and disk backups and network vs.SAN backup to choose the solution you need; find out how data de-duplication makes sense for backup, replication, and retention; follow great troubleshooting tips to help you find and fix a problem; and, benefit from a glossary of all those pesky acronyms. From the basics for beginners to advanced features like snapshot copies, storage virtualization, and heading off problems before they happen, here's what you need to do the job with confidence!
So you need to set up a SAN? Here's how to design, implement, and manage one!
Whether you're a complete novice or you already have a bit of knowledge about storage area networks, this book is almost guaranteed to make your job easier. From the basics for beginners to advanced features like snapshot copies, storage virtualization, and heading off problems before they happen, here's what you need to do the job with confidence!
* Getting started - understand what SANs are, whether you need one, and what you need to build one
* Design basics - learn to use loops, switches, and the fabric layer, and design your SAN for peak performance
* No surprises - create a disaster-recovery plan with the appropriate guidelines and choose a remote site and data replication method
* SANs united - see how to connect or extend SANs and how compression can reduce costs
* Wait, back up - compare tape, disk, network, and SAN backup methods to choose the solution you need
* What if it breaks? - follow great troubleshooting tips to help you find and fix a problem
* De-dupe, de-dupe - find out how data de-duplication makes sense for backup, replication, and retention
* It's virtual - explore different types of virtualization and what they offer
Open the book and find:
* What RAID is and why it's important
* Issues to consider when planning your SAN
* A translation of all those pesky acronyms
* What to do when your server gets the hiccups
* How to use CDP and CDR
* What you should beware of with storage virtualization
* Hardware- and software-based copy solutions
* SAN best practices
Welche anderen Artikel kaufen Kunden, nachdem sie diesen Artikel angesehen haben?
Die hilfreichsten Kundenrezensionen auf Amazon.com (beta)
It covers the basics and has a terrific chapter on why SAN is necessary for all enterprises.
The value proposition of SAN, indeed, is very strong. No wonder practically all large IT enterprises have adopted SAN for their storage solution of choice.
This book doesn't cover any advanced materials. It doesn't covers anything vendor specifc, such as EMC and NETAPP, technologies and solutions.
This is a fine place to start but it will not make anyone a knowledgeable expert.
1)Good overview of SAN.
2)Terrific chapter on the value proposition of SAN to IT.
3)Starts from ground up (What is RAID, Volume, LUN, etc).
1)Doesn't cover any major vendor specific technologies.
2)Doesn't cover major uses of SAN technology (such as database servers).
3)Doesn't deal with any technical issues beyond generalities. You will never find any command-line or technical troubleshooting steps.
If you're a casual professional or lay person, read this book so you don't sound like an idiot when calling tech support.
If you have a graduate degree in CompSci, read this book (and endure the generalizations/minor-ish inaccuracies) to assist your lessers in attaining SAN proficiency.
P.S. This book is a beginning, not an end. If you read it hoping to sound like an expert in a weekend, those who know will see through your charade when the SAN hits the fan.