The real-world guide to securing Cisco-based IP telephony applications, devices, and networks
Cisco IP telephony leverages converged networks to dramatically reduce TCO and improve ROI. However, its critical importance to business communications and deep integration with enterprise IP networks make it susceptible to attacks that legacy telecom systems did not face. Now, there’s a comprehensive guide to securing the IP telephony components that ride atop data network infrastructures–and thereby providing IP telephony services that are safer, more resilient, more stable, and more scalable.
Securing Cisco IP Telephony Networks provides comprehensive, up-to-date details for securing Cisco IP telephony equipment, underlying infrastructure, and telephony applications. Drawing on ten years of experience, senior network consultant Akhil Behl offers a complete security framework for use in any Cisco IP telephony environment. You’ll find best practices and detailed configuration examples for securing Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM), Cisco Unity/Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Presence, Cisco Voice Gateways, Cisco IP Telephony Endpoints, and many other Cisco IP Telephony applications. The book showcases easy-to-follow Cisco IP Telephony applications and network security-centric examples in every chapter.
This guide is invaluable to every technical professional and IT decision-maker concerned with securing Cisco IP telephony networks, including network engineers, administrators, architects, managers, security analysts, IT directors, and consultants.
- Recognize vulnerabilities caused by IP network integration, as well as VoIP’s unique security requirements
- Discover how hackers target IP telephony networks and proactively protect against each facet of their attacks
- Implement a flexible, proven methodology for end-to-end Cisco IP Telephony security
- Use a layered (defense-in-depth) approach that builds on underlying network security design
- Secure CUCM, Cisco Unity/Unity Connection, CUPS, CUCM Express, and Cisco Unity Express platforms against internal and external threats
- Establish physical security, Layer 2 and Layer 3 security, and Cisco ASA-based perimeter security
- Complete coverage of Cisco IP Telephony encryption and authentication fundamentals
- Configure Cisco IOS Voice Gateways to help prevent toll fraud and deter attacks
- Secure Cisco Voice Gatekeepers and Cisco Unified Border Element (CUBE) against rogue endpoints and other attack vectors
- Secure Cisco IP telephony endpoints–Cisco Unified IP Phones (wired, wireless, and soft phone) from malicious insiders and external threats
This IP communications book is part of the Cisco Press® Networking Technology Series. IP communications titles from Cisco Press help networking professionals understand voice and IP telephony technologies, plan and design converged networks, and implement network solutions for increased productivity.
Über den Autor und weitere Mitwirkende
Akhil Behl , CCIE No. 19564, is a Senior Network Consultant in Cisco Services, focusing
on Cisco Collaboration and Security Architectures. He leads collaboration and security
projects worldwide for Cisco Services and the Collaborative Professional Services (CPS)
portfolio for the commercial segment. Prior to his current role, he spent ten years working
in various roles at Linksys as a Technical Support Lead, as an Escalation Engineer at
Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC), and as a Network Consulting Engineer in Cisco
Akhil has a bachelor of technology degree in electronics and telecommunications from
IP University, India, and a masters degree in business administration from Symbiosis
Institute, India. He is a dual Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) in Voice and
Security. He also holds many other industry certifications, such as Project Management
Professional (PMP), Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) professional,
VMware Certified Professional (VCP), and Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP).
Over the course of his career, he has presented and contributed in various industry
forums such as Interop, Enterprise Connect, Cloud Connect, Cloud Summit, Computer
Society of India (CSI), Cisco Networkers, and Cisco SecCon. He also has several research
papers published to his credit in various international journals.