Build and Deploy Massively Scalable, Super-fast Data Management Applications with Apache Cassandra
Practical Cassandra is the first hands-on developer’s guide to building Cassandra systems and applications that deliver breakthrough speed, scalability, reliability, and performance. Fully up to date, it reflects the latest versions of Cassandra–including Cassandra Query Language (CQL), which dramatically lowers the learning curve for Cassandra developers.
Pioneering Cassandra developers and Datastax MVPs Russell Bradberry and Eric Lubow walk you through every step of building a real production application that can store enormous amounts of structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data. Drawing on their exceptional expertise, Bradberry and Lubow share practical insights into issues ranging from querying to deployment, management, maintenance, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
The authors cover key issues, from architecture to migration, and guide you through crucial decisions about configuration and data modeling. They provide tested sample code, detailed explanations of how Cassandra works ”under the covers,” and new case studies from three cutting-edge users: Ooyala, Hailo, and eBay.
- Understanding Cassandra’s approach, architecture, key concepts, and primary use cases– and why it’s so blazingly fast
- Getting Cassandra up and running on single nodes and large clusters
- Applying the new design patterns, philosophies, and features that make Cassandra such a powerful data store
- Leveraging CQL to simplify your transition from SQL-based RDBMSes
- Deploying and provisioning through the cloud or on bare-metal hardware
- Choosing the right configuration options for each type of workload
- Tweaking Cassandra to get maximum performance from your hardware, OS, and JVM
- Mastering Cassandra’s essential tools for maintenance and monitoring
- Efficiently solving the most common problems with Cassandra deployment, operation, and application development
Über den Autor und weitere Mitwirkende
Eric Lubow (Twitter: @elubow) is currently chief technology officer of SimpleReach, where he builds highly scalable, distributed systems for processing social data. He began his career building secure Linux systems. Since then he has worked on building and administering various types of ad systems, maintaining and deploying large-scale Web applications, and building email delivery and analytics systems. He is also a U.S. Army combat veteran and a DataStax MVP for Apache Cassandra.
Eric and Russ are regular speakers about Cassandra and distributed systems, and both live in New York City.