"I have taught speech science and phonetics courses for over 35 years, always using my own individually designed course packet -- now I finally can adopt a textbook that meets all my needs. This book provides an in-depth, up-to-date, and reader friendly treatment of how human speech is produced, acoustically shaped, analyzed, and perceived." Harvey M. Sussman, University of Texas at Austin
"Reetz and Jongman's textbook should be required reading for anyone interested in learning about and understanding phonetics. Phonetics is a rich but challenging field of study since it covers such a broad range of areas (speech production, acoustics, speech perception) across a number of disciplines (physics, physiology, linguistics, psychology, biology). Reetz and Jongman provide a masterful and rich introduction that is probably the most comprehensive of any current or even past textbook by combining articulatory phonetics and phonetic transcription with acoustic phonetics and speech perception. As a consequence, the student will not only learn each of these critical areas but ultimately how they may inform each other. The approach of this book is importantly conceptual, introducing the student to the principles underlying speech. Technical concepts are introduced in a clear manner, examples are plentiful, exercises and demonstrations on the book's website provide hands-on and interactive opportunities that will enhance and enrich the learning process." Sheila E. Blumstein, Brown University
Providing a comprehensive overview of the four primary areas of phonetics, Phonetics: Transcription, Production, Acoustics, and Perception is an ideal guide to the complete study of speech and sound.
- An accessible but in-depth introductory textbook on the basic concepts of phonetics
- Covers all four areas of phonetics: transcription, production, acoustics, and perception
- Offers uniquely thorough coverage of related relevant areas, including vocal fold vibration and the working of the ear, creating an engagingly flexible work for instructors
- Includes chapter-by-chapter exercises, enabling students to put their knowledge into practice
- Written in a clear and concise style by two of the field’s leading scholars