- Gebundene Ausgabe: 828 Seiten
- Verlag: Pearson Education (US); Auflage: Har/Cdr (1. Oktober 2001)
- Sprache: Englisch
- ISBN-10: 9780805345537
- ISBN-13: 978-0805345537
- ASIN: 0805345531
- Größe und/oder Gewicht: 22,4 x 4,1 x 28,4 cm
- Durchschnittliche Kundenbewertung: Schreiben Sie die erste Bewertung
- Amazon Bestseller-Rang: Nr. 4.313.671 in Fremdsprachige Bücher (Siehe Top 100 in Fremdsprachige Bücher)
- Komplettes Inhaltsverzeichnis ansehen
Igenetics (Englisch) Gebundenes Buch – 1. Oktober 2001
|Neu ab||Gebraucht ab|
Kunden, die diesen Artikel gekauft haben, kauften auch
Es wird kein Kindle Gerät benötigt. Laden Sie eine der kostenlosen Kindle Apps herunter und beginnen Sie, Kindle-Bücher auf Ihrem Smartphone, Tablet und Computer zu lesen.
Geben Sie Ihre Mobiltelefonnummer ein, um die kostenfreie App zu beziehen.
Wenn Sie dieses Produkt verkaufen, möchten Sie über Seller Support Updates vorschlagen?
* Cutting edge chapters on Genome Analysis and Molecular Evolution. * iGenetics CD-ROM free with every new text, includes 50 animations, 24 iActivities, and hundreds of interactive problem-solving exercises that help students grasp abstract processes and active problem solving. This free student CD-ROM is available in two versions-one with solutions for all the problems in the text and one without. * 24 iActivities-one for each text chapter-promote interactive problem solving. Building on chapter-opening case studies, the iActivities present real-life genetics problems that help develop students critical thinking skills and actively engage them in applying their understanding of genetics. * Media flags throughout the text direct students to 50 narrated animations on the iGenetics CD-ROM; these animations (all scripted and developed by Peter Russell) help students visualize challenging concepts. For example, animations of meiosis and recombinant DNA bring text images to life by taking students through a process from start to finish, thereby reinforcing the content.* Step-by-step problem sets throughout the book represent a wide range of topics and difficulty levels, and give students practice in problem solving. * Experimental data emphasizes an inquiry-based approach and engages students in the process of science. * Pedagogy: Principal Points, appearing at the beginning of each chapter, alert students to key concepts. Keynotes, at the end of each new topic within a chapter, summarize important ideas and allow students to check their progress. Summary at the end of each chapter ties all the main points together. Analytical Approaches at the end of each chapter guide students step-by-step through genetic problems. * Human examples help students comprehend new molecular understandings of various human genetic diseases.
Über den Autor und weitere Mitwirkende
Peter J. Russell received his B.Sc. in Biology from University of Sussex in 1968 and his Ph.D. in Genetics from Cornell University in 1972. He then joined the Biology faculty of Reed College in 1972 where he is currently Professor of Biology. Russell teaches an upper-division genetics and molecular biology lecture/laboratory course, the genetics section of the introductory biology course, an advanced seminar course in yeast virology, and advises senior thesis research students. He is also the author of a number of successful genetics textbooks. He is currently studying the molecular genetics of the replication of double-stranded (ds)RNA viruses found in budding yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The research goals are to define in vivo the cis-acting sequences that are required for viral RNA packaging into capsids and for genome replication, and to identify and characterize any yeast gene products required for virus propagation. His earlier research involved Neurospora rRNA synthesis and the organization of and regulation of the number of ribosomal RNA genes, and nitrogen metabolism in the pathogenic dimorphic yeast Candida albicans.
|5 Sterne (0%)|
|4 Sterne (0%)|
|3 Sterne (0%)|
|2 Sterne (0%)|
|1 Stern (0%)|
Dieses Produkt bewerten
Die hilfreichsten Kundenrezensionen auf Amazon.com
At the end of each chapter in the text there are a number of conceptual questions and genetics "problems" that serve as a tool of teaching genetics by the problem based approach. These problems are helpful because my class focused on the problem based side of genetics, as most general genetics classes probably do. The book includes a CD-rom that includes the answers to ALL of the problems in the book for FREE! The CD-rom also contains movies that illustrate important mechanisms like transcribtion, translation, and DNA replication, as well as additional exercises. For me, I found it particulary helpful to be able to "see" genetic processes instead of just hearing about them in class.
Even though all of the anwsers to the book problems are included on the CD-rom, I would recommend picking on the Student Solution Guide as well because it is GREAT. It works out every single problem in the book. This is somewhat of a rarity for science books (especially biology ones). I can say that this solutions manuels is very helpful.
The only problem that I had with the textbook was that it was a bit wordy in some sections. While reading this book, I would recommend highlighting only those topics that your professor discusses in class and not getting hung up on terms that he or she has not talked about and sound like gobble-gook (Shrine-Delgado sequence, TATA box). Most likely, your class will focus on general concepts and you will not have the time to discuss the specifics in detail. I can't say that it is a bad thing that the book included detailed information from other areas of biology (biochemistry, cell biology), since these fields will be important if you are a biology major, but they probably do not need to be disscused in great detail in genetics if not prompted by the instructor.
Overall, I would say that this is a good genetics text. It contains usefull explanations and illustrations about topics that may not have been clearly explained in class, especially if your professor tends to mummble or doesn't have the best artistic style when it comes to drawing chromosomes.