- find a small piece of data in a big file.
- create a file.
- edit a file.
- delete, insert, append, modify.
- change all 'THIS' to 'THAT'
- "cut and paste" / "copy and paste".
- edit multiple files.
- recover a file.
- edit commands on the command line.
"How to Use the Unix-Linux vi Editor" provides real-world examples that work. Larry L. Smith is also the author of the Rosetta Stone Series for Computer Programmers and Script-Writers, Essential Programs for your Survival at Work. Book 1: Korn Shell. Book 2: Perl. Book 3: BASH Shell.