Do You Want to Learn How to Save Seeds?
The Homesteading Handbook vol. 3: The Heirloom Seed Saving Guide is the 3rd book in the well-received Homesteading Handbooks series of books. It's your guide to collecting seeds from a number of popular garden fruits, vegetables and herbs. If you've ever considered saving seeds, this book is your key to unlocking the secrets of seed saving.
The following topics are covered in this handy guide:
- Why seed saving is important and how it can save money while protecting the world's food supply.
- The 4 most common types of seeds, including 2 seed types you never want to attempt to save seeds from.
- The many ways plants can produce seeds and how flowers are pollinated.
- How to ensure the genetic lines of your heirloom plants stay pure.
- How to attract pollinators from long distances away.
- Growing healthy plants that develop healthy seeds.
- Saving seeds from wet-seeded and dry-seeded crops.
- How to safely store seeds to ensure longevity.
- A simple method of testing seed viability.
- A discussion on whether organic seeds are absolutely necessary.
In addition to the invaluable general information on saving seeds, there are in-depth instructions provided for collecting seeds from 48 of the most popular garden vegetables, herbs and fruits. If you're saving seeds, you're going to want this handbook.