"As an emergency physician and a wilderness medicine physician, Dr. Auerbach's Field Guide, in its fourth edition, continues to be my "go to" resource in preparing for and treating bread and butter medicine in the backcountry as well as those problems specific to wilderness environments where I'm not working regularly. The book, available to hold in your hand or downloadable, leaves no topic uncovered, yet still presents each topic in a concise enough format so referencing diagnosis and treatment of Traveler's Diarrhea in a particular region or Ciguatera Fish Poisoning takes less than 20 seconds for the trained practitioner.
The book contains a significant number of excellent color photos for indentifying poisonous mushrooms as well as figures for understanding improvisational techniques such as the Fireman's Carry. I teach multiple Wilderness Medicine courses each year, to students, residents and trained providers, and this book is a must have on all of my courses."
Elisabeth Edelstein, MD, FACEP, FAWM
Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
Director Wilderness Medicine
Associate Director Emergency Medicine Clerkship and Advanced Clinical Skills
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
"The authors have done an excellent job with this book, which is essentially a condensed version of the much larger textbook. This book is actually portable, small enough to keep in a first aid kit or to take on a trip, but packed with concise and useful information on nearly every subject and scenario imaginable. Many of the topics are also relevant to everyday practice in a clinic, emergency department, or hospital setting."-Ericl Ellingson, MD(Regions Hospital and Level 1 Trauma Center) Doody Review: 4 stars
Field Guide to Wilderness Medicine - based on Dr. Auerbach’s critically acclaimed text Wilderness Medicine - offers fast-access solutions to all of the medical situations that can occur in non-traditional settings. From backpack to kayak, or on any mobile device, this indispensable, compact survival guide is detailed enough to cover the clinical presentation and treatment of a full range of wilderness emergencies!
- Meet a full-range of emergency situations with the utmost effectiveness. Appendices address everything from environment-specific situations to lists of essential supplies, medicines, and many additional topics of care.
- Compare what you are seeing with line drawings and color plates to quickly and accurately identify skin manifestations, plants, poisonous mushrooms, snakes, spiders, insects, etc.
- Rapidly retrieve and comprehend wilderness survival information with the aid of an easily accessible format featuring "Signs and Symptoms" and "Treatment" sections in most chapters - combined with bulleted lists and text boxes.
- Improvise with available materials so you can diagnose and treat a myriad of medical situations with step-by-step how-to explanations and the latest practical advice from wilderness medicine experts.
- Get guidance on the go with online access to the fully searchable text at Expert Consult, plus bonus downloadable files for Survival Kits.
- Get the wilderness medicine skills you need now with new chapters on foot problems and care, global humanitarian relief and disaster medicine, Leave No Trace principles, and high-altitude medicine, as well as lists to prepare a variety of survival kits for different settings and patient populations.
- Improve your competency and readiness with thoroughly revised chapters on shock, maxillofacial trauma, malaria, improvised litters and carries, aeromedical transport, pain management, life-threatening emergencies, and allergic reactions.