, 'An engaging, well-written book that is designed neither to bore nor to overwhelm...fantastic investment for would-be matte painters.' (3D Artist, July 2011).
Create Stunning Backgrounds for Film, Video, Games, and Ads
If you want to create digital matte paintings that blend seamlessly into live-action footage, this is the perfect guide. Author David Mattingly was head of the Disney Studios Matte Department and has been a matte artist on major motion pictures such as The Black Hole, Dick Tracy, and I, Robot. In this unique how-to book and DVD, he teaches you his stellar techniques.
You'll start with rough concept sketches in Photoshop and learn to add perspective, create light and shadow, add texture, and color-correct. Then you'll switch from Photoshop to Adobe After Effects and Autodesk Maya to composite your matte in 3-D and camera-project it. The result? A skill set suitable for Hollywood! Artists of all levels will want this professional handbook on their desks.
* Get up to speed on the Photoshop workspace, tools, and custom brushes
* Master the essentials--composition, perspective, drawing, color, and form
* Create a castle and add illumination, dark shadows, and craggy texture
* Change daylight into night or summer into winter
* Prepare your Photoshop files for use in Maya camera projection
* Learn industry- and classroom-tested tools and techniques
Create a futuristic city over a moving plate
Make scenes go from day to night
Set up a vision of Hades in After Effects 3D space
Contains all the files needed to complete the projects in the book as well as companion videos to help drive home concepts.