Are you baffled by biochemistry? If so here's the good news ? you don't have to stay that way! Biochemistry For Dummies shows you how to get a handle on biochemistry, apply the science, raise your grades, and prepare yourself to ace any standardized test.
This friendly, unintimidating guide presents an overview of the material covered in a typical college-level biochemistry course and makes the subject easy to understand and accessible to everyone. From cell ultrastructure and carbohydrates to amino acids, proteins, and supramolecular structure, you'll identify biochemical structures and reactions, and send your grades soaring.
- Newest biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and scientific discoveries
- Updated examples and explanations
- Incorporates the most current teaching techniques
From water biochemistry to protein synthesis, Biochemistry For Dummies gives you the vital information, clear explanations, and important insights you need to increase your understanding and improve your performance on any biochemistry test.
Are you baffled by biochemistry? If so, here's the good news -- you can send your grades soaring! This friendly guide presents an easy-to-follow overview of the material covered in a typical college-level biochemistry course. From cell ultrastructure and carbohydrates to amino acids, proteins, and supramolecular structure, Biochemistry For Dummies, 2nd Edition provides clear written and visual explanations of complicated concepts.
* Biochemistry 101 -- get the scoop on biochemistry basics, dive into water chemistry, and review organic chemistry concepts
* Sink your teeth into proteins -- discover everything you need to know about amino acids, protein structure and function, and enzyme kinetics
* Get a craving -- get the skinny on carbohydrates, lipids and membranes, nucleic acids, vitamins, and hormones
* Life is a highway -- take a look at bioenergetics and pathways to get a handle on ATP and energy, metabolism, electron transport, biosynthesis, and more
* It's in your genes -- learn about the fascinating subject of genetics and understand how DNA is photocopied and replicated to make us who we are
Open the book and find:
* A review of cell types and their structures
* The role of carbon in the study of life
* Properties of amino acids
* Structure levels of proteins
* The scoop on enzymes and catalysts
* A primer on nucleic acids
* Hundreds of figures that illustrate biochemical structures
* Real-world examples that connect biochem concepts to everyday life
* Biochemistry principles
* Biochemical structures and reactions
* How cells obtain and use energy