This fast-paced introduction to the newest release of Android OS gives aspiring mobile app developers what they need to know to program for today's hottest Android smartphones and tablets. Android 4 OS is, for the first time, a single solution for both smartphones and tablets, so if you master the information in this helpful guide, you'll be well on your way to successful development for both devices. From using activities and intents and creating rich user interfaces to working with SMS, messaging APIs, and the Android SDK, what you need is here.
- Provides clear instructions backed by real-world programming examples
- Begins with the basics and covers everything Android 4 developers need to know for both smartphones and tablets
- Explains how to customize activities and intents, create rich user interfaces, and manage data
- Helps you work with SMS and messaging APIs, the Android SDK, and using location-based services
- Details how to package and publish your applications to the Android Market
Beginning Android 4 Application Development pares down the most essential steps you need to know so you can start creating Android applications today.
With Android 4, Google brings the full power of its Android operating system to both smartphone and tablet computing. This full-color guide teaches everything you'll need to know to successfully develop your own Android applications. The book addresses all the fundamentals, including user interfaces, networking, SMS messaging, databases, location-based services, and deployment. Veteran author Wei-Meng Lee covers it all and puts you well on your way to successful Android application development and deployment.
Beginning Android 4 Application Development:
* Explains how to adapt to display orientation, understand the components of a screen, and handle user interface notifications
* Explains the various elements that go into designing your user interface using views such as TextView, ProgressBar, AutoCompleteTextView, TimePicker, ListView, and more
* Demonstrates how to display pictures and menus with views
* Shows how to use a content provider and create your own content provider
* Demonstrates how to put long running tasks in separate threads
* Builds an application that tracks locations using SMS messaging
* Demonstrates how to use JSON and Sockets programming to build your own chat application
* Helps you prepare your Android application for the Android Market
Wrox Beginning guides are crafted to make learning programming languages and technologies easier than you think, providing a structured, tutorial format that will guide you through all the techniques involved.
wrox.com Programmer Forums
Join our Programmer to Programmer forums to ask and answer programming questions about this book, join discussions on the hottest topics in the industry, and connect with fellow programmers from around the world.
Take advantage of free code samples from this book, as well as code samples from hundreds of other books, all ready to use.
Find articles, ebooks, sample chapters and tables of contents for hundreds of books, and more reference resources on programming topics that matter to you.