Traditionally associated with country, folk, and bluegrass music, the banjo is accessible to anyone with the patience and willpower to learn it. This second edition of Banjo For Dummies does the rest of the work for you with updated practice lessons, teaching techniques, and step-by-step examples. With this guide, you will learn tips and techniques for selecting the right instruments and accessories, how to develop correct hand position and posture, and how to tune, care for, and make simple repairs to the instrument. An updated multimedia component features companion audio tracks and complementary video lessons that cement the concepts readers gain during their reading.
- Written by Bill Evans, an accomplished five-string banjo player, teacher, writer, and historian
- Includes access to "how-to" videos on Dummies.com
- Ideal for anyone who wants to learn to play this classic instrument
For musicians hoping to lend their art an edge or interested learners looking to pick up a unique skill, Banjo For Dummies is a must-have, straightforward guide to success.
* Explore bluegrass and clawhammer banjo styles
* Have fun playing with others in jam sessions
* Find a great banjo and get the accessories you need
Your hands-on guide to playing the five-string banjo
From the concert arena to a backyard jam session, the five-string banjo is heard everywhere these days. Whether you're a brand new picker or an experienced player looking for new ideas and styles, Banjo For Dummies is your road map to the most popular banjo styles played today. From the very basics to the most advanced playing techniques, you'll find everything you need right here, with audio tracks and video clips available online to help you every step of the way.
* Take your first banjo steps -- choose a banjo that's right for you, get in tune, and get comfortable with good playing techniques right from the start
* Get your strings in order -- practice fretting chords, read tablature, and use basic picking patterns to play your first songs
* Dig deeper -- play clawhammer and bluegrass song favorites using advanced right- and left-hand techniques, and get acquainted with both minstrel and classic banjo styles
* Network into banjo culture -- unlock the secrets of playing with other musicians, find a great teacher, and get the lowdown on attending camps and festivals
* Gear up -- from cases and strings to capos, tuners, and metronomes, discover how to use the accessories that can make you a better banjo player
Open the book and find:
* A complete banjo buyer's guide
* Advice for tuning your banjo
* Basic music theory and how to read banjo tablature
* Essentials of clawhammer, bluegrass, and historical styles
* How to enhance your playing with advanced techniques
* Bluegrass picking techniques
* How to change strings and choose accessories
* More than 150 audio and video examples