Kunden diskutieren > englische bücher Diskussionsforum

American Based Thriller Writers Please Post

Sortieren: Ältester zuerst | Neuester zuerst
51-75 von 134 Diskussionsbeiträgen
Veröffentlicht am 09.09.2011 14:05:46 GMT+02:00
Philip Chen meint:
Excerpt:

"Say, I know what. Let me call my old friend, Herb Adams," said Smith, picking up his telephone and punching in the telephone number of the FBI field office in Minneapolis.

Herb Adams, the special agent in charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Minneapolis/St. Paul field office, was a friend of Smith's from his FBI days. Six foot six inches tall, Adams still retained the powerful build from his college days as a fullback on the University of Nebraska football team. He was one of the Bureau's highest ranking black agents. Unlike more ambitious agents, Adams did not view his assignment to the Northland as being exiled to Siberia.

Most agents wanted to be in high visibility field offices such as New York, Atlanta, or Los Angeles. Adams, in contrast, felt that his abilities would shine through no matter where he was and that the rather sleepy pace of the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul was just about right.

Even though he had known Smith for over twenty years, Adams still did not know the true nature of his friend's occupation. As far as Adams knew, Smith had left the Bureau about twelve years ago, when they were still earning their stripes, to become a security official with the State Department, unexpectedly. Adams had thought at the time that Smith's move was odd -- to leave a high-profile job as an FBI agent to become a faceless bureaucrat at the State Department. Shortly thereafter Smith had resigned from State to become an independent security consultant.

Although Adams thought it was curious that Smith had taken that path, he was pleased that his old friend seemed to be happy and prospering as an outside consultant. Adams had always found it funny, though, that Smith never talked business from the day he left the Bureau -- even when he was on his own as an independent consultant. It was unlike the gregarious Smith he had known while they were struggling as young special agents. Even though they didn't get together as often as they did when they were both in the Bureau, Adams always enjoyed his telephone chats with Smith.

When he heard that his friend was on the telephone, Adams dropped what he was doing to take the call.

"Hey, George, how've you been?"

Adams absentmindedly picked up the scuffed and well-worn leather football that had been sitting on his credenza. It was a memento from his University of Nebraska football days. He had made the winning touchdown in a close game with Notre Dame and had received the game ball for his efforts. On it were inscribed all of his classmates' signatures; some of whom had moved into the major leagues and were now big-time players. Herb always loved to hold that football when he was speaking on non-official business; it was like a talisman that the world was a much nicer place than what he saw in the course of his normal activities.

"Great, Herb. How have you been?"

"Nancy is looking at colleges; she may want to go east. Both Beth and I are really excited, but I've got to tell you, I'm too young to have someone in college."

"I know how you feel. When Charlie went to the University of Virginia this fall, his mom and I cried."

"How is Adele? Is her shop in Georgetown doing okay?"

"Adele's doing great, her shop had some shaky times at the start, but it's been going great guns since May. But that's not why I called."

"Oh?"

Herb replaced the football on to his credenza and sat upright in his seat.

"You know that I've been working as an outside consultant to the State Department."

"Yeah."

"One of my jobs is to help them maintain a network of special couriers for sending messages and packages internally around the continental United States."

There was a pause at the end of the line.

"I didn't know that State used special couriers internally."

"As you can imagine, it isn't publicized for obvious public relations reasons, but you can imagine that certain messages just cannot be sent over public telephone lines, by mail, or by Federal Express."

"I suppose so," Adams said; he was all business. "I guess that's why the State job was so interesting. How can this simple special agent be of help?"

"I'll be blunt. One of our couriers didn't show up at the appointed time and place. We think that something happened to him. Herb, this has to be handled with kid gloves. You can't file a field report on this."

"I understand. What information can you give me?"

"His name is Richard Winslow from Seattle, Washington. He was on Northwest Flight 8 from Seattle, Washington, this morning and arrived in Minneapolis/St. Paul about 5:00 p.m. He was supposed to transfer to Northwest Flight 376 for Washington's National Airport, scheduled to take off at 6:05 p.m. He never boarded that flight."

"Maybe he just decided to take a later flight."

"For reasons I can't discuss, these messengers are not the kind that would deviate from the schedule. Besides, if I told you, I'd have to kill you," said Smith, trying to joke his way out of an awkward moment.

Adams did not appreciate the humor. Smith was not the type to tell jokes, or lies. And when he tried, it was obvious.

A STORY SO REAL THAT IT IS BECOMING REAL --

A very realistic science fiction thriller about the accidental discovery of mysterious, but mute, objects in the ocean in 1967 and what happened when they woke up in 1993 and began sending signals to outer space. Mike, pulled back into a clandestine agency to finish the job he began over twenty-three years ago as a. navy ensign , is strangely attacked by gangs of what look like ordinary Americans. Attacks he can handle, but he is shaken when he learns that a revered friend has died. Will the death of Mike's friend mean that the secret of these mysterious objects will be locked forever in the dark ocean bottom?

46 four and five star reviews on Amazon US and UK. 98,250+ words. Many more on other platforms. 354 pages.

This book is so realistic that readers often finish the book wondering, "if this story might not be fiction at all, but something very real and very disturbing."

Strongly recommended by noted U.S. book critic Alan Caruba, who says, "If you read just one novel in 2011, make it Falling Star."

Falling Star | Print

This book actually describes events which eventually became true in chilling detail such as the 2010 Russian spy ring in the United States, the recent discovery of a mysterious object in the Baltic Sea, and now the super secret military force called JSOC. Get it before it becomes nonfiction or disappears in the hands of men in black.

Veröffentlicht am 13.09.2011 22:01:44 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 06.10.2011 17:20:03 GMT+02:00]

Veröffentlicht am 29.09.2011 10:01:02 GMT+02:00
Philip Chen meint:
The Marine flight leader's radio suddenly came to life. "Digger, I've got a bogey at one o'clock on my screen, its range is, ah .., approximately fifteen miles and she's headed right for us. Request permission to break off and intercept."

"I see him, be careful."

"Roger."

As the right wing man broke formation and banked right, he saw the fast approaching Maryland Air National Guard A-10 Warthog.

"Air Guard A-10, this is Marine Hornet. Request response. A-10?" radioed the right wing man as his Hornet approached the mysterious jet aircraft. "Digger, I've got an Air Guard Warthog who will not respond to my hailing frequency, please advise."

"ATC says there are no other authorized aircraft assigned to this sector, Repeat, no other authorized aircraft." The flight leader and his remaining wing man immediately banked right to join their colleague.

Just as the right wing man received that message, the pilot of the Warthog opened fire with his 30 millimeter Avenger cannon.

"Hostile fire," said the Marine pilot as he pulled back on his control stick as hard as he could and went into a steep climb. Sweat poured profusely down his face, fogging his face mask. The Warthog made a steep bank, turned around, and climbed after the Marine's Hornet. The tracers in the Avenger ammunition belt streamed toward the Hornet. The faster Hornet lengthened the distance between it and the Warthog, but not before some rounds reached their target. Mindful of his position, the Marine pilot banked toward the Chesapeake Bay so that the aerial battle would not be fought over populated areas.

The flight leader and his left wing man followed in pursuit of the two jets. Within seconds, the two Marine airmen caught up with the two jets and noted that some of the rounds from the aggressor jet had struck the Hornet. A thin contrail of white smoke issued from the right wing of the Hornet, although it remained airborne and under control.

The flight leader maneuvered his Hornet behind the Warthog as the formation of four jets streaked over the sky above the Chesapeake Bay. The pilot of the Warthog dropped to near water level in an attempt to escape the Marine jets. The flight leader dropped to wave height as well and fired a warning shot from his M61 20 millimeter gun. The ground effect of such low level flying buffeted the two jets. Staying in the air required intense concentration.

The Warthog initiated evasive action, slewing sideways, climbing rapidly, and hugging the treetops on the shore. For a moment, the pilot of the Warthog captured the admiration of the two Marine pilots in hot pursuit, but that admiration was short lived as the flight leader's avionics and fire control electronics homed in on the fleeing Warthog.

As he heard the tone and saw the green box flash in his heads up display, the Marine flight leader pressed his fire button and a slim AIM-9 Sidewinder missile dropped from its rack and made a bee-line to the Warthog, leaving a thin white contrail. The pilot of the Warthog banked sharply to the left and climbed frantically in an effort to escape the fast approaching Sidewinder, to no avail. The heat-seeking Sidewinder easily sought and acquired the exhaust port of one of the Warthog's jet turbines. Few recognizable parts of the Warthog splashed into the gray-blue waters of the Chesapeake.

The right wing man requested and received permission to break formation and return to Pautuxent. The flight leader and his remaining wing man banked right and headed back to the ground action on Huntersville Road.

"Pautuxent Control. What was that about?" radioed the flight leader. "One Maryland Air National Guard A-10 downed and one of my wing men hit. Over."

"Red Leader, Maryland Air National Guard reported one of their Warthogs was missing this morning. We just received the report on DODNet. Guess you found it."

"Hope there aren't any more surprises."

"Me too. Pautuxent Control out."

Falling Star | Print 47 four and five star reviews in amazon US and UK. 98,250+ words, 354 pages.

Veröffentlicht am 30.09.2011 16:54:34 GMT+02:00
Nely Cab meint:
Once, she feared her dreams. Now, she fears her reality.
-Creatura by Nely Cab

Veröffentlicht am 30.09.2011 17:10:29 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 21.10.2011 19:39:41 GMT+02:00]

Veröffentlicht am 30.09.2011 21:31:25 GMT+02:00
Zuletzt vom Autor geändert am 30.09.2011 21:31:53 GMT+02:00
Roger Weston meint:
The Golden Catch
No. 3 in the Kindle Store > eBooks > eBooks Foreign Language > English > Fiction > Popular Fiction > Men's Adventure

Recent customer review:

"...If you like Clive Cussler, Matthew Reilly or Daniel Silva you will like this book, it had me gripped from page one and the ending is truly exciting."

Only 99 Euro on Kindle

Also available for 99 Euro: The Assassin's Wife
No. 55 in Kindle Store > eBooks > eBooks Foreign Language > English > Fiction > Popular Fiction > Politica

Veröffentlicht am 02.10.2011 12:17:11 GMT+02:00
Steve Stone meint:
Check out 'Intrepid' and 'Intrepid - The Two Storms', by English writer Steve Stone. Major locations; New Orleans, Naples (FL), Miami, Houston, Cape Canaveral, Area 51 (Nevada Desert).

Veröffentlicht am 03.10.2011 23:19:15 GMT+02:00
[Von Amazon gelöscht am 08.11.2011 08:32:33 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 04.10.2011 03:58:52 GMT+02:00
Declan Conner meint:
Das Ende, oder ein neuer Anfang (Eine Kurzgeschichte.) (Eine deutsche und zwei englische Versionen in einem E-Buch zusammengefasst.)

Climate change disaster thriller

Der Feind im Innern (Eine Kurzgeschichte.) (Eine deutsche und zwei englische Versionen in einem E-Buch zusammengefasst.)

Drugs war thriller

Veröffentlicht am 04.10.2011 22:49:48 GMT+02:00
S.L. Pierce meint:
Secrets
Do you have a secret nobody knows? Not even your spouse?
Gwen Michaels is a former assassin, emphasis on former. She walked away two years ago and had no plans to share her secret, least of all with her husband Jack. But when she is attacked in her own home by an unknown assailant, she is thrust back into her old element.
More shocking to Gwen than the man hired to kill her, is that he knows nothing of her past. Now Gwen and Jack are on the run until Gwen can discover who wants her dead, and why!
Secrets is a fun thriller delving into the world of developing super computer chips and industrial espionage!

Veröffentlicht am 06.10.2011 17:20:20 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 19.10.2011 20:53:15 GMT+02:00]

Veröffentlicht am 09.10.2011 05:48:16 GMT+02:00
[Von Amazon gelöscht am 08.11.2011 08:32:41 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 09.10.2011 15:43:42 GMT+02:00
Biker Babs meint:
A mystery/suspense series set at a California winery:

Entangled
A Minneapolis attorney inherits a small California winery, reawakening memories that have lain dormant for twenty years. Secrets lie buried beneath Fredrickson Winery's innocent facade and Billie intends to get to the root. But disturbing the past lays bare the skeletons of others, including her mother's. Can she live with the consequences of full disclosure or will she run home where everyone is Minnesota nice?

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Thriller Excellent Read, June 29, 2011
By James A. Anderson "Author" (London, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Entangled (Kindle Edition)
Barbara Ellen Brink brings a unique and distinctive thriller to the genre.
This was an excellent read, with many twists and turns ending in a surprise finale. Wilhelmina (Billie) Frederickson is a Minnesota attorney who inherits a winery in California's Napa Valley. The story starts with dark forboding and builds steadily with an interesting cast of characters. The book also explores a number of issues such as childhood rape, trauma, mother/daughter issues and trust.
Very provocative stuff and Brink's writing is literary and very descriptive. One learns much about wine making in this book. A glass of wine adds to the enjoyment while reading it.
I highly recommend this one for a very different kind of thriller if you're tired of hardboiled PIs and detectives and want to read something unique and enthralling. I look forward to reading her sequel Crushed.

Crushed (A Fredrickson Winery Novel)
Newly hired as chief winemaker, Margaret Parker's past collides headlong with the present when her son's deadbeat father returns from Italy demanding custody just when she's met a new guy she thinks she's falling for. Then her father is unexpectedly released from prison, and starts a little trouble of his own. All during the busiest time ever––harvest. With murder in the mix, it's definitely going to be a red wine this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great mystery, May 18, 2011
By Charles G. Campbell (ohio) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Crushed: A Fredrickson Winery Novel (Volume 2) (Paperback)
Barbara Brink's second mystery, "Crushed," has everything: wine, kidnapping, great villains, murder, and more. Barbara has created one of the most heinous villains in Sean Parker, and just when you thought he was gone for good, he shows up to do more dirty work. A great read!

Veröffentlicht am 10.10.2011 10:48:50 GMT+02:00
Philip Chen meint:
Another coincidence or is it something else?

Previously, we discussed how this book, written over twenty years ago, describes things which later became true in chilling detail. These included the 2010 Russian spy ring in the United States, the recent discovery of a mysterious object in the Baltic Sea, and the super secret military/civilian force called JSOC (in the story it is called CSAC).

Now, yet another aspect of my very realistic science fiction thriller apparently has a real-life counterpart. Did you know that the Department of Energy employs special, armed couriers to secretly transport nuclear materials around the country? I didn't. Read about it in the Washington Post. http://wapo.st/nHrls4

In Falling Star, FBI special agent Herb Adams is surprised to learn that his old colleague is in charge of using clandestine "special couriers" to transport classified material around the United States.

This story just keeps getting more real with each passing day. Get it before it becomes nonfiction or disappears in the hands of men in black.

Falling Star | Print 47 four and five star reviews in Amazon US and UK. 98,250+ words, 354 pages.

Veröffentlicht am 11.10.2011 04:50:13 GMT+02:00
My books have been called thrillers at times and mysteries also. I will include a link to the first in my Charlie Parker series, which is priced at only EUR ,82 and let you decide for yourself. Deadly Gamble: The First Charlie Parker Mystery (Charlie Parker Mystery Series)

Thank you so much!
Connie Shelton
author of the Charlie Parker mysteries and
the Samantha Sweet mysteries

Veröffentlicht am 12.10.2011 18:15:21 GMT+02:00
Irish Noir author Ken Bruen described my last book as "Harlan Coben on Speed" while bestselling author Linwood Barclay declared: "Grant McKenzie really knows how to make a story move." I've just released my latest novel K.A.R.M.A onto the Kindle. Some of you may know me from my thrillers SWITCH (Die Stimme des Dämons) and No Cry For Help (Ohne einen Laut). K.A.R.M.A is a bit of a departure as it tackles a dark subject while still remaining a nail-biter. Here's the Pitch: The children want revenge. Tech-savvy victims of abuse unite to turn their collective pain into bloody retribution. The group calls itself K.A.R.M.A: Kids Against Rape, Murder and Abuse. To ensure the group's message is heard, K.A.R.M.A's leader enlists the aid of Tom Hackett, a rebellious freelance photojournalist who flaunts his willingness to break the rules for that perfect moneymaking shot. By tipping Hackett to the location of fresh kill, the group ensures sensational front-page media play. But when the identity of the first victim hits too close to home, K.A.R.M.A awakens a haunted past that could destroy everything Tom holds dear. In struggling with his conscience, Tom becomes an obstacle that K.A.R.M.A can't allow to live.
Enjoy,
Grant
grantmckenzie.net

Veröffentlicht am 16.10.2011 19:54:21 GMT+02:00
Roger Weston meint:
What happens when a drama professor discovers her husband was the world's foremost assassin?

The Assassin's Wife
Thriller set in the American West
99 Euro on Kindle

Veröffentlicht am 19.10.2011 20:53:27 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 29.11.2011 09:47:21 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 21.10.2011 19:39:56 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 29.11.2011 09:47:26 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 21.10.2011 19:41:27 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 29.11.2011 09:47:32 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 24.10.2011 22:23:10 GMT+02:00
[Von Amazon gelöscht am 08.11.2011 08:32:54 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 29.10.2011 04:22:16 GMT+02:00
HANDCUFFS and a Pyramid of Satin

Kelly has a wonderful marriage. So why is she so restless? Determined to get that elusive spark back in her life, Kelly takes off to her birthplace of Frankfurt, Germany, for the adventure of a lifetime. There she is befriended by the ever so charming David, who immediately appoints himself as her translator and tour guide. Kelly is so totally in love with her husband, but finds herself wishing he were more like her new friend David. But it isn't long before Kelly realizes that life is not always greener on the other side of the fence. In fact, it can be downright deadly! (Christian Fiction/Romance/Suspense Thriller/novella)

Veröffentlicht am 30.10.2011 00:37:09 GMT+02:00
Philip Chen meint:
Excerpt from Falling Star:

"Bob, can you come to my office for a minute?"

"Yes, Sir."

Lieutenant Commander Robert McHugh replaced the handset on the telephone, gathered up the documents on his desk, and put them into his metal security cabinet; making sure to roll the tumblers several times on the locks to be certain that they were secured. He then went up two flights of stairs to his boss' office. Captain Edward Mitchum was in charge of the Special Projects Office of NAVFAC, the Naval Facilities Engineering Command, headquartered in Port Hueneme, California, just north of Los Angeles. The Special Projects Office was responsible for undertaking investigations of an engineering nature referred to them by other units of the U.S. Navy.

"Good morning, Sir."

"Close the door, Bob," said Mitchum as he took out a manila folder from his desk drawer. "Have a seat."

Wonder what's up, thought McHugh, as he pulled up a metal side chair.

"Two months ago, a geomagnetic surveying team encountered a strange signal during what was supposed to be a normal mapping run over the Hatteras Abyssal Plain in the Atlantic Ocean southwest of Bermuda. Apparently, none of the eggheads have ever seen anything like it. It's got quite a few folks in Washington in an uproar. I don't need to tell you how sensitive that area is to our national security."

"What do they think it might be?"

"You know the usual, Bob. Some think the Russkies might have something there."

"Isn't that pretty deep?"

"Yes, but who knows what the Russians have."

"How does it involve us?"

"Apparently, someone at the Oceanographer of the Navy's office thought that NAVFAC might have some systems that could get a better handle on what is making these signals - with all our assets, that is."

"Why did it take so long to get to us," asked McHugh.

"How long have you been in the Navy?" chuckled Mitchum.

"Yeah."

"Why the excitement? It's just an anomalous signal  isn't it?"

"The report, which I am now handing to you, tells all about it. Apparently, it was a sharp report in an area that shouldn't have had anything like that, especially since the Hatteras Abyssal Plain in that area is pretty deep."

"Just shouldn't be there," agreed McHugh.

"What's more, less than a week following the detection of that signal, a boomer, SSBN-620, running silent in the same region was knocked around by some unknown force like it was a toy boat in a bath tub. The captain was a top-notch submariner. He had never seen anything like it."

"Those guys sure don't like to spill their coffee."

"Well, this one did. Let's run an investigation on the signal. It could be something natural, or maybe a wreck we didn't know about. I don't know what to make of the boomer incident."

"Done."

"By the way, Bob, we're getting another hand in about a month or so; a young fellow from Stanford University. I'm going to assign him to you."

"I'm glad you said that, I am a bit short - handed."

Captain Mitchum nodded. The Vietnam War had depleted just about every non combatant force in the armed forces. Many of his best men had been re-assigned to Construction Battalions and shipped off to Southeast Asia. He was lucky to have held on to Bob McHugh, who was not only a superb ocean research engineer, but also had combat experience as an Underwater Demolition Team member.

McHugh had completed a tour in the South China Sea just prior to being assigned to the Special Projects Office. While there, he had received a bronze star for a particularly difficult extraction under enemy fire. The mission had been to run a river boat up the Mekong River and pickup a provincial official who had served the American forces well, but had come under the suspicion of local Communist cadres.

As McHugh's crew finished boarding the official and his family, Viet Cong opened fire from the dense brush along the shore. Two Navy corps men were still in the water. McHugh grabbed an M-1 carbine and returned fire from the stern of the vessel; drawing the enemy's attention to himself. His actions permitted the two corps men to jump aboard and the River Boat to escape, thereby allowing the safe return of all. In his usual self effacing manner, McHugh wondered aloud what an ocean research scientist was doing in a situation like that. His heroics under fire gave McHugh standing in NAVFAC, where many officers had never seen combat.

"So, do you know anything about this new guy?" asked McHugh.

"Just that he is an NROTC graduate from the University of Virginia and is completing his Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford. I think his name is Liu; Chinese I believe."

That was an interesting remark, since oriental officers were still a rarity in the Navy, thought McHugh. He took the manila folder from Captain Mitchum and went back to his office.

Falling Star | Print A very realistic science fiction thriller. 44 four and five star reviews on Amazon US and UK. 98,250+ words, 354 pages.

Veröffentlicht am 30.10.2011 19:14:16 GMT+01:00
[Von Amazon gelöscht am 08.11.2011 08:33:03 GMT+01:00]

Veröffentlicht am 02.11.2011 20:55:10 GMT+01:00
Breaking News:

`WOLFMAN' SERIAL KILLER STRIKES AGAIN
JOURNALIST KIDNAPPED BY AL-QAIDA

Details inside my first thriller novel DEADLINE. Murder, action and romance over 24 hours in a Toronto daily newspaper.

Eight 5-star and 4-star Reviews:

"A truly remarkable debut by this author. The novel has elements of romance, mystery, suspense, a father, daughter relationship gone awry, political corruption, all woven expertly together, to come together in a satisfying and exciting climax." - Joan Hall Hovey, Author, Night Corridor and three other suspense novels

"Non-stop action and thrill a minute." -- Arthur J. Levine, author of Johnny Oops andJohnny Oops 11 - Timeless

"This is a gripping tale that you will have to finish before you put it to bed."-- Susan Jane McLeod, author of Soul And Shadow.

"The timeline in DEADLINE will keep you turning the pages breathlessly...." J. D. Michael Phelps, author of THE EXECUTION OF JUSTICE ("The Mike Walsh Detective Novels".)"

DEADLINE available in Kindle and paperback on Amazon, Nook and all other e-book formats through Smashwords.com.
[Kommentar hinzufügen]
Schreiben Sie einen Beitrag zu dieser Diskussion
Verwenden Sie zum Einfügen eines Produktlinks dieses Format: [[ASIN:ASIN Produkt-Name]] (Was ist das?)
Eingabe des Log-ins

Kürzliche Einträge in englische bücher Diskussionsforum (574 Diskussionen)

Zur Diskussion

Teilnehmer:  53
Beiträge insgesamt:  134
Erster Beitrag:  22.07.2011
Jüngster Beitrag:  12.09.2013

Neu! Bei neuen Einträgen eine E-Mail erhalten.
Von 9 Kunden verfolgt

Kundendiskussionen durchsuchen