Kunden diskutieren > englische bücher Diskussionsforum

I need some inspiration....thrillers

Sortieren: Ältester zuerst | Neuester zuerst
1-20 von 20 Diskussionsbeiträgen
Ersteintrag: 12.03.2009 14:24:18 GMT+01:00
Mojo meint:
Hey everybody,

am vacation soon and finally do have time to catch up on my reading. Need recommendations for some light agent/crime/adventure/action kind of thrillers....my last light read was raymond khoury which was not bad. I tend to like Dan Brown, Robert Ludlum, Elmore Leonard, Ian Rankin, Jonathan Kellerman etc....will be obliged if anybody has a recommendation....

thanks

rd

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 12.03.2009 14:51:18 GMT+01:00
Zuletzt vom Autor geändert am 12.03.2009 15:32:49 GMT+01:00
On my to-be-read pile:
The Constant Gardener - John le Carré

ETA: And I am totally hooked these days on J.D. Robb's "In Death" books. They are crime/mystery books with a big dose of romance. Not sure if it's your cuppa, but you can check out the first "Naked in Death" and judge for yourself.

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 12.03.2009 15:38:29 GMT+01:00
Zuletzt vom Autor geändert am 12.03.2009 15:39:10 GMT+01:00
Tedesca meint:
Hi rd,

if you like witty characters and exotic settings, try the Dr. Siri Paiboun series by Colin Cotterill. I've read 3 out of 5 and enjoyed ever single one so far. Dr. Siri is the 73 years old coroner of Laos, right after the revolution in 1975, his assistants are an overweight nurse and a guy suffering from Down syndrome. Not to forget a crowd of lively spirits. Gripping and amusing, mystical and educating, light and sparkling.

Regards,
tedesca

Veröffentlicht am 18.03.2009 20:14:47 GMT+01:00
Shadow Man by Cody McFadyan very scary ;O) and good characters... if you like FBI Agents searching for Serial Killers

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 23.03.2009 22:57:18 GMT+01:00
sista A meint:
Hi,

if you enjoy your thrillers with a healthy dose of humour I'd recommend P.J. Tracy. Monkeewrench ("Want to play" is the british edition of the same book) is their first and I think they should be read in writing order. You can have a look inside here: http://www.amazon.com/Monkeewrench-P-J-Tracy/dp/045121157X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237844124&sr=1-3

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 27.03.2009 09:24:34 GMT+01:00
Rolf Aderhold meint:
Some authors you might want to try out are: Harlan Coben (solid thrillers), James Patterson (Alex Cross series, thrillers with some action) or James Rollins (SIGMA Force, thrillers with quite a lot of action and little sense) or Matthew Reilly (fast paced, action packed thrillers which are entertaining but do not make any sense at all).

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 30.03.2009 13:35:40 GMT+02:00
[Vom Autor gelöscht am 30.03.2009 13:43:29 GMT+02:00]

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 30.03.2009 13:41:42 GMT+02:00
Eileen Walsh meint:
a very brutal book very americian the second book even worse and slimey as well.i prefer english authors .i am talking about cody mcfadyan

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 08.04.2009 17:59:57 GMT+02:00
Coverman meint:
Try the "Rain" Series from Berry Eisler and the "Jack Reacher" Novels from Barry Eisler. Nice Thrillers. You should start with the first book of the serie. Same for the "Sean Drummond" Stories from Brian Haig. All of the books kept me awake during long nights. Thrilling

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 12.04.2009 20:12:42 GMT+02:00
Hi Royden,

Try Mohan Narayanan's THE PAYYOLI PENDANT - here are a few reviews:

Posted March 9, 2009, 1:58 AM EST: Kept me spellbound- an un-putdownable thriller combining the IT sophistication prevelant amongst the Indian youngsters along with their long heritage.

" The Payyoli Pendant - Review by K.Banu
Mohan Naryanan's 'the payyoli pendant' is such an amazing story, lovable characters.....I can read it again and again.."

"This is an amazing manuscript!" - Cynthia Sherman, Book Reviewer (USA)

"Set against the stunning backdrop of Kerala on the southwest coast of India and the magnificence of Arizona's Grand Canyon, The Payyoli Pendant merges modern-day technology with ancient, tantric practices.

The Payyoli Pendant gives a thrilling portrayal of how ageless, supernatural powers parallel the information highway and modern-day science."

"A profound story - thoughtfully and carefully crafted. Written so beautifully about the mystical journey of mankind. The ending is deeply moving as the Author speaks to the questions of the body without the soul. This book will appeal to a large audience as it deals with morality and choices and technological advances. The message transcends time and place." -Joanne M, Review Manager (USA)

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 13.04.2009 22:37:38 GMT+02:00
Hi,try anything from Lee Childs.His Jack Reacher books are amazing stuff.
Have fun on vacation
Andyc

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 16.04.2009 00:03:18 GMT+02:00
Pixie meint:
I would like to recommend Giles Blunt. The first one in the series of four books, 40 words for sorrow, is not for the faint-hearted, but still a good read.

1. 40 words for sorrow
2. The delicate storm
3. Black fly season
4. By the time you read this

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 19.04.2009 16:24:18 GMT+02:00
Anika Rasner meint:
I can also recommend books by Cody McFadyan. Also really good reading material: all the books by Tess Gerritsen

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 21.04.2009 07:05:28 GMT+02:00
Film Fanatic meint:
Not sure if this is light reading, but my preferred authors are stephen king(the stand),tom clancy(jack ryan novels)and anything by grisham,jeffrey deaver or ken follett

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 21.04.2009 09:16:49 GMT+02:00
You should look to the Swedish writers such as Jo Nesbø and Stieg Larsson. They have been translated into English so you can get to them. I don't think there are 20 adults total in denmark who have not read them yet. They are just that popular. But watch out when buying them. They are series so make sure you do a little research so you read them in order. Enjoy your vacation

Veröffentlicht am 25.04.2009 00:31:07 GMT+02:00
huladancer meint:
Looking for light agent/crime/adventure/action kind of thrillers = that`s a Stone Barrington story. I´ve read them all.
Have a look at Stuart Woods.....

Veröffentlicht am 25.04.2009 00:32:35 GMT+02:00
huladancer meint:
Looking for light agent/crime/adventure/action kind of thrillers = that`s a Stone Barrington story. Read them all.
Have a look at Stuart Woods.....

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 01.05.2009 14:54:36 GMT+02:00
Ever tried Carl Hiaasen? Crime novels mostly located in Florida with environmental issues, corrupt politician, plain weird characters and lots of fun. I prefer his early works like "Tourist Season" or "Native Tongue", but later books like "Lucky You" are also great. All his titles with two words are for grown-ups, but after the Harry Potter-hype he also tried writing books suitable for children (which adults may like just the same) like "Hoot" and "Flush". One of his books has been adapted for the screen, but unfortunately "Striptease" laid a much too large emphasis on Demi Moore's boobs, the novel has much more entertainment value.

Or, if you like it a bit grittier, try Dennis Lehane. His first five novels (starting with "A Drink before the War") are about a couple of detectives, book 4 (Gone Baby Gone) has been made into a movie just like his self-contained "Mystic River" (all books take place in Boston) and the soon to be a Martin Scorsese picture "Shutter Island" (haven't read that one yet, but everything else was just dandy).

Antwort auf einen früheren Beitrag vom 08.05.2009 17:45:41 GMT+02:00
Beetroot meint:
Lee Childs' "Jack Reacher" series, totally non-PC and a whacking good read; also Simon Beckett or Jonathan Kellerman's son whose first name escapes me just now, he writes under Kellerman as well so you should find him on Amazon. If you like lots of technical detail and sound research on cold war, espionage and stuff Frederick Forsyth is also a good bet, I never got into him much but I know lots of blokes who like his books. Have a good holiday!

Veröffentlicht am 03.07.2013 08:41:14 GMT+02:00
Roger Weston meint:
Check out my novel, Fatal Return. It is suitable for YA on up and features a famous German ship from WWII.

Trained by a Navy Seal...betrayed by a billionaire...on the trail of a killer--maritime historian Jake Sands' peaceful life has been shaken to the core. Now he finds himself in the middle of the most dangerous kind of history of all--history in the making.

"This is one of the best books I have read all year, and I couldn't put it down...it had me gripped from page one and the ending is truly exciting...I can't wait for the next book." -Customer review for The Golden Catch

"Intriguing from start to finish. Fast paced and fun." --Customer review for Fatal Return

"Loved it!! Will be looking for a lot more of Roger Weston's books." --Customer review for The Assassin's Wife

"A real action-packed, hold on to your seat read." --Customer review for The Recruiter

A retired luxury liner sits in the Port of Long Beach. A ruthless billionaire with a fatal plot for revenge buys her and sets in motion a horrific plan. When maritime history professor Jake Sands gives the ship's farewell speech, he spots a murderous face from his past and finds himself sucked into a blood-thirsty plan for revenge that began in WWII with the development of a weapon so shocking that if unleashed will cause unimaginable horror for thousands, forcing Jake to resurrect skills few people know he has.
‹ Zurück 1 Weiter ›
[Kommentar hinzufügen]
Schreiben Sie einen Beitrag zu dieser Diskussion
Verwenden Sie zum Einfügen eines Produktlinks dieses Format: [[ASIN:ASIN Produkt-Name]] (Was ist das?)
Eingabe des Log-ins

Kürzliche Einträge in englische bücher Diskussionsforum (574 Diskussionen)

Diskussion Antworten Jüngster Beitrag
Book (My Genes Made Me Do It) proves parental neglect causes homosexuality 0 Vor 2 Stunden
We can get a book for free? Great! Please post here! 620 Vor 7 Stunden
Postzustellung in Österreich- 6 Tage im Post-Verteilerzentrum wegen "Überlastung" 12 Vor 5 Tagen
English Language Romance Novels - Enjoy! 7 Vor 12 Tagen
Christmas stories 0 Vor 15 Tagen
Action-Adventure Books in English 200 Vor 22 Tagen
English language books for only EUR 0,99 263 Vor 22 Tagen
Meet Our Authors 511 Vor 24 Tagen
Meet Darryl Hughes, author of the "CHEVALIER: THE QUEEN'S MOUSEKETEER" children's book series and other works. 6 12.11.2014
Books/Authors with unusual plots/characters 82 05.11.2014
Children's Stories 10 31.10.2014
Looking for really good books - very well written or exceptional plot or inspiring or all in one... 382 02.09.2014

Zur Diskussion

Teilnehmer:  18
Beiträge insgesamt:  20
Erster Beitrag:  12.03.2009
Jüngster Beitrag:  03.07.2013

Neu! Bei neuen Einträgen eine E-Mail erhalten.

Kundendiskussionen durchsuchen