This third edition emphasizes modern software engineering practices in writing compilers and interpreters. Although its primary goal remains teaching these skills, the book can also be viewed as a modern software engineering book that uses writing compilers and interpreters as case studies. This edition keeps the same basic chapter organization as the second edition. The major changes includes new coverage of the Java Collections Framework and the Java Virtual Machine, UML, object-oriented programming, and XML and XML transformation tools. This is the definitive, up-to-date resource for IT professionals.
Master the skills you need to build your own compilers and interpreters
Compilers and interpreters are very difficult programs to write, but modern software engineering tackles the complexity. Design patterns and other object-oriented programming techniques guide you to develop well-structured code in incremental, understandable steps. Apply what you learn in this book to succeed with any complex software project.
You'll learn to:
* Use Java to develop scanners and parsers for programming languages
* Employ UML to model software components
* Manage symbol tables with the Java Collections Framework
* Use XML to represent the generated intermediate code
* Develop an interpreter to execute programs, including a powerful interactive source-level debugger
* Implement an integrated development environment (IDE) that animates the execution of programs
* Use the IDE's graphical user interface to set breakpoints and single-step programs statement by statement with mouse clicks
* Develop a code generator that emits object code for the Java Virtual Machine (JVM), and run the compiled code on multiple platforms