Prepare for the future of Microsoft automation with this no-nonsense guide
Windows PowerShell 2 is the scripting language that enables automation within the Windows operating system. Packed with powerful new features, this latest version is complex, and Windows PowerShell 2 For Dummies is the perfect guide to help system administrators get up to speed.
Written by a Microsoft MVP with direct access to the program managers and developers, this book covers every new feature of Windows PowerShell 2 in a friendly, easy-to-follow format.
- Windows PowerShell 2 is the updated scripting language that enables system administrators to automate Windows operating systems
- System administrators with limited scripting experience will find this book helps them learn the fundamentals of Windows PowerShell 2 quickly and easily
- Translates the jargon and complex syntax of Windows PowerShell 2
- Covers script debugging improvements, the ability to invoke commands remotely, and the new user interface
- Uses real-world applications to clarify the theory, fundamentals, and techniques of the scripting language
- Written by a Microsoft MVP with direct access to the developers of Windows PowerShell 2
Windows PowerShell 2 For Dummies makes this tool easily accessible to administrators of every experience level.
You've heard about Windows PowerShell 2, the Windows scripting environment that's changing how we think about Windows scripting. This fun and friendly guide gives you a solid understanding of what it is and how to use it, with plenty of real-world examples so you can put the information to good use right away. Your boss will think you're a genius!
* View from the top -- get an overview of Windows PowerShell 2 and examine the syntax, structure, and core functionality
* Look deeper -- manipulate strings, work with data structures like arrays and hashtables, and use Windows Management Instrumentation
* The need for speed -- see how Windows PowerShell speeds things up by letting you run commands on a remote computer or run multiple commands at once
* In the real world -- learn to apply scripts to specific needs
* It does more -- use Windows PowerShell 2 to manage network configurations, gather hardware info, connect to printers, and more
Open the book and find:
* Tips for personalizing PowerShell
* All about cmdlets
* How to use Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)
* Things to watch for in value conversions
* How to internationalize a script
* Debugging tools and how to use them
* Network configuration tips
* Ten common mistakes to avoid
* How to take advantage of this new feature in Windows 7
Visit the companion Web site at www.dummies.com/go/powershell2fd to find code files for the code listings used in the book and a bonus chapter about exception handling.