Expand vocabulary and advance language skills to reach and then exceed grade level!
Yes! This book aligns to the skills of the Common Core State Standards, Texas's TEKS, and Virginia's SOL!
- 101 exercises focused on figurative language and sayings
- includes exercises covering idioms, common phrases, similes, metaphors, hyperbole, adages, and proverbs
- 10 complete sets of exercises organized into easy, moderate, and advanced
- vocabulary, reading level, and difficulty increase from a Grade 2 level right through to a Grade 5 level and higher
- each set includes a variety of tasks that allow students to develop and then apply new skills
- specifically designed to increase vocabulary and language skills to exceed grade level expectations
- includes a complete answer key
- includes charts listing the Common Core, TEKS, and SOL skills covered
Aligns to the Common Core Standards
The Common Core Standards are a set of standards adopted by most American states. Student learning is based on these standards throughout the year, and students in most states are tested based on these standards at the end of the school year. This workbook develops many skills listed in the Common Core Standards for English Language Arts, including skills in the reading, writing, and language strands. The major skills covered include interpreting figurative language such as similes and metaphors, and recognizing and explaining the meaning of idioms, adages, and proverbs. A complete list of the specific skills covered is included in the back of the book.
Matches the Texas Standards
The Texas standards, or TEKS, include key skills that are specifically covered by this book. These include identifying the meaning of common idioms, adages, and other sayings, using context to determine word meaning, understanding unfamiliar words and words with multiple meanings, and analyzing the use of similes and metaphors. In addition, the book will develop a range of reading, writing, and language skills covered by the Texas curriculum. A complete list of the skills covered is included in the back of the book.
Matches the Virginia Standards
The Virginia standards are described in the Standards of Learning (SOL) and the Curriculum Framework. This workbook covers many key skills that Virginia students are expected to learn. These include using context to determine word meaning, developing vocabulary, understanding figurative language, and writing to inform, entertain, explain, and persuade. A complete list of the skills covered is included in the back of the book.
One Book, Ten Core Benefits
- produces a thorough understanding of idioms
- develops the ability to understand and use similes and metaphors
- provides practice recognizing the meaning of common phrases
- introduces exaggeration and hyperbole
- teaches students to use context to determine meaning
- helps students understand the literal and nonliteral meanings of words
- increases vocabulary and enhances knowledge of word meanings
- encourages students to understand and relate to adages and proverbs
- develops writing skills including persuasive, descriptive, and narrative writing
- enhances reading comprehension skills