"An excellent didactic technical production. For medical students, trainees, cancer biologists, oncologists, pharmacologists and endocrinologists. Cancer remains a menace in modern times." (Pediatric Endocrinology Reviews, 1 September 2013)
"This book will be invaluable for nursing and medical students, establishing a basic understanding and progressing to more complex issues. The end-of-chapter review questions are great preparation for exams." (Nursing Standard, 1 September 2013
Newly revised and updated for its second edition, this comprehensive text provides a detailed overview of the molecular mechanisms underpinning the development of cancer and its treatment. Written by an international panel of researchers, specialists and practitioners in the field, the text discusses all aspects of cancer biology from the molecular causes, development and diagnosis through to the treatment of cancer patients.
* New coverage on how cancer drugs are actually used in specific cancer patients, and how therapies are developed and tested
* Covers both traditional areas of study and areas of controversy and emerging importance, highlighting future directions for research
* Features up-to-date coverage of recent studies and discoveries, as well as a solid grounding in the key concepts in the field
* Highlights the direct links between cancer research and clinical applications
* Each chapter includes key points, chapter summaries, text boxes, and topical references for added comprehension and review
* Supported by a dedicated website at [INSERT NEW URL]
* An excellent text for upper-level courses in the biology of cancer, for medical students and qualified practitioners preparing for higher exams, and for researchers and teachers in the field
Stella Pelengaris Ph.D is Director of Pharmalogos and previous Researcher at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund, and Senior Research Fellow at the University of Warwick and Warwick Medical School.
Mike Khan Ph.D FRCP is Associate Professor of Medicine at University Hospitals of Coventry and Warwickshire and previous Head of Molecular Medicine at the University of Warwick.
Reviews of the first edition:
"A capturing, comprehensive, clearly written and absolutely accurate introduction into cancer biology...This book deserves great praise for the readable presentation of this complex field.....the true synthesis of bench and bedside approaches is marvelously achieved...." - Molecular Cancer
"Chapters address the issues of cancer diagnosis, treatment and patient care and set the book apart from general molecular biology reference....This book is applicable to both graduate and undergraduate students, and in the context of a research laboratory, this book would be an excellent resource as a reference guide for scientists at all levels." - V. Emuss, Institute of Cancer Research, London