The art and science of creating AR
Augmented reality (AR)--placing virtual content over live video--has progressed from an emerging technology into one of today's hottest interactive design trends. Artists and designers with little or no programming experience can quickly learn how to create AR using a variety of opensource and proprietary tools such as Processing programming language, Blender animation software, Arduino, Flash, and others.
Covering the creation of AR for smartphones, Macs, PCs, and the web, this thorough guide is packed with smart software techniques, usable code, hardware pointers, modeling and prototyping basics, and more. AR is art and programming, and CG and programming expert Tony Mullen seamlessly blends both to help you create fun, effective, augmented reality.
* Move into AR, even if you have limited programming skills
* Get up to speed on the AR terminology and tools you'll need
* Explore the essentials of Processing and 3D programming
* Learn Blender basics and design low-poly animated characters
* Create objects for an AR library and build and export 3D models
* Interactively link your AR to physical, virtual, and streaming environments
* Explore using ActionScript programming for browser-based AR
* Create AR for the Android platform and other smartphones
(Far left) Get started with NyARToolkit for Android
(Left) Create interactive Flash-based AR for the web
Über den Autor und weitere Mitwirkende
Tony Mullen, PhD, has a broad background in CG and programming. He teaches at Tsuda College in Tokyo, Japan, where his courses include Python programming, 3D modeling, and animation. He is the author of Introducing Character Animation with Blender, 3D for iPhone Apps with Blender and SIO2, Mastering Blender, and Bounce, Tumble, and Splash!: Simulating the Physical World with Blender 3D, all from Sybex.