Confused by medical terms? Don't know a carcinoma from a hematoma? "Medical Terminology For Dummies" gets you up to speed quickly on medical terminology fundamentals and helps you master medical definitions, pronunciations, and applications across all health care fields. Once you understand medical prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you'll approach even unfamiliar medical terms with confidence. This plain-English guide to language that can be just plain confusing clears up the meanings of the Greek and Latin sources of medical terms. You'll get a handle on how these mouthfuls are constructed, and discover how to decipher any medical term, no matter how complex or unusual. You'll also get plenty of help in pronouncing and remembering medical words, and you'll find out how and why the terminology changes from hospital to laboratory to pharmacy.
You'll discover how to: understand word foundations and origins; grasp the essential meanings of unfamiliar terms; define common prefixes and suffixes; identify and pronounce medical terms; deconstruct words to grasp definitions; use plurals and multiples with ease; describe medical conditions accurately; bone up on terms that describe the anatomy; use mnemonic devices to remember medical terms; know when words refer to diseases, injuries, treatments, and more; and, use medical terminology in the real world. Complete with a list of essential references on medical terminology as well as helpful word-building activities "Medical Terminology For Dummies" puts you in the know in no time.
The fun and easy way(r) to understand, pronounce, and apply medical terminology
Don't know a carcinoma from a hematoma? This friendlyguide gets you up to speed quickly on medical terminology fundamentals, helping you master definitions, pronunciations, and applications across all medical fields. Once you understand medical prefixes, suffixes, and root words, you'll approach even unfamiliar medical terms with confidence.
* Recognize common root words - identify words that apply to body regions, organs, anatomy, and pathology
* Pronounce and use terms with ease -grasp the phonics of medical terms and understand the context of words, from hospital to pharmacy to test lab
* Break words down - understand unfamiliar words by defining their elements and recombining them; and get familiar with prefixes and suffixes, plurals and multiples
* Get a handle on anatomy and systems - bone up on terms that describe and are related to the body's systems, from skeletal and muscular to gastrointestinal and endocrine
* Learn the lingo - familiarize yourself with common terms used in the ER, OR, pharmacy, and lab
* Get to the source- understand Greek and Latin sources of medical terms
Open the book and find:
* Tips for understanding unfamiliar medical terms
* Explanations of Greek and Latin roots and structures
* Definitions of common prefixes and suffixes
* Guidance in pronouncing medical terms
* Word roots commonly used in hospitals, pharmacies, and labs
* Terms for diseases, lab tests, and medications
* Useful mnemonic devices
* Helpful word-building activities