Written for professional and student Web developers, this little book provides a clear, non-mathematical introduction to the essentials of cryptography and to the protocols used for securing communication on the World Wide Web, specifically TLS/SSL and HTTPS.
* Encryption and decryption of data
* Principles underlying ciphers such as DES and AES
* Message authentication using SHA and HMAC
* Using OpenSSL for encryption and hash computation
* Public key cryptography and certificates
* Digital signatures
A short book in the "Web Security Topics" series, by the well-known authors Nigel and Jenny Chapman.