A structured design approach to equip you with the knowledge of how to successfully accomplish any data visualization challenge efficiently and effectively
- A portable, versatile and flexible data visualization design approach that will help you navigate the complex path towards success
- Explains the many different reasons for creating visualizations and identifies the key parameters which lead to very different design options.
- Thorough explanation of the many visual variables and visualization taxonomy to provide you with a menu of creative options.
Do you want to create more attractive charts? Or do you have huge data sets and need to unearth the key insights in a visual manner? Data visualization is the representation and presentation of data, using proven design techniques to bring alive the patterns, stories and key insights locked away.
"Data Visualization: a Successful Design Process" explores the unique fusion of art and science that is data visualization; a discipline for which instinct alone is insufficient for you to succeed in enabling audiences to discover key trends, insights and discoveries from your data. This book will equip you with the key techniques required to overcome contemporary data visualization challenges.
You'll discover a proven design methodology that helps you develop invaluable knowledge and practical capabilities.
You'll never again settle for a default Excel chart or resort to 'fancy-looking' graphs. You will be able to work from the starting point of acquiring, preparing and familiarizing with your data, right through to concept design. Choose your 'killer' visual representation to engage and inform your audience.
"Data Visualization: a Successful Design Process" will inspire you to relish any visualization project with greater confidence and bullish know-how; turning challenges into exciting design opportunities.
What you will learn from this book
- A comprehensive and contemporary introduction to data driven visualization design and the most effective approaches to tackle any design challenge.
- How to achieve maximum impact with designs that engage on an aesthetic level and perform on a functional one.
- Foundation understanding of the human visual system
- Identifying the purpose of your visualization and your projects parameters to determine overriding design considerations across your project's execution
- How to develop analytical questions and identify a visual narrative as you immerse yourself in your data, familiarizing with its inherent qualities
- Apply critical thinking to visualization design and get intimate with your dataset to identify its potential visual characteristics
- Appreciating the importance of an editorial approach to design and best practice approaches for tackling different data types and problem contexts
- A thorough overview of the anatomy of a data visualization design and a menu of the most important and innovative visualization methods
- Overview of the essential visualization tools and resources
- Profile of some of the most impressive and inspiring contemporary visualization projects
A comprehensive yet quick guide to the best approaches to designing data visualizations, with real examples and illustrative diagrams. Whatever the desired outcome ensure success by following this expert design process.