The complete guide to analyzing and maximizing a company's balanced scorecard Presenting the next step for balanced scorecard implementation, Balanced Scorecard Diagnostics provides a step-by-step methodology for analyzing the effectiveness of a company's balanced scorecard and the tools to reevaluate balanced scorecard measures to drive maximum performance. CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, vice presidents, department managers, and business consultants will find all the essential tools for analyzing a balanced scorecard methodology to determine if it's running at maximum performance and for seamlessly implementing changes into the scorecard. Paul R. Niven (San Marcos, CA) is President of the Senalosa Group, a consulting firm exclusively dedicated to helping businesses get best-in-class performance. He is the author of two successful books, Balanced Scorecard Step-by-Step (0-471-07872-7) and Balanced Scorecard Step-by-Step for Government and Nonprofit Agencies (0-471-42328-9), both from Wiley.
The Balanced Scorecard system is a robust framework, capable of helping organizations successfully navigate the uncertainties of competition and changing dynamics. However, as many as half of all Balanced Scorecard users aren't achieving the results they hoped for and a significant number of users rate their performance measurement systems as "adequate." Balanced Scorecard expert Paul Niven believes that these organizations aren't reaching the full potential of the Balanced Scorecard due to inadequate methods of implementation. And this book is his remedy.
Balanced Scorecard Diagnostics is a single-source guide to accurately analyzing the effectiveness of an organization's Balanced Scorecard, complete with the latest tools and know-how to implement corrective changes, ensuring your Balanced Scorecard is operating at maximum performance. Throughout this step-by-step guide, self-assessment questions help readers focus company discussions to critically examine their implementation efforts and propel Scorecard initiatives forward.
Balanced Scorecard Diagnostics features real-world case studies and practical tools that help you get started right away. It also:
* Examines the fundamental elements for effectively employing the Balanced Scorecard, including the executive sponsorship critical to implementing a Scorecard initiative
* Offers guidelines for effectively examining your Balanced Scorecard team, training and education regimen, and communication planning
* Provides advice on how to "personalize"your Strategy Map to evoke user acceptance, supplies diagnostics for reviewing the number of objectives on your map, and examines the cause and effect linkages that tell your strategic story
* Features expert coverage on testing your current performance measures by questioning the number of measures comprising your Scorecard and the vital concept of using measure results to learn, as well as helpful guidance on target setting and sources of target information. It also demonstrates how initiatives may be mapped to Scorecard objectives, ensuring your human and financial resources are directed towards the execution of strategy
* Provides cascading principles and tools to gauge the degree of alignment among Scorecards throughout your organization
* Examines the connection between the Balanced Scorecard and budgeting, compensation, and corporate governance and offers proven techniques for effectively forging these linkages
* Outlines various reporting mechanisms, including software and low-tech methods, and investigates how the Balanced Scorecard can be used as a centerpiece of your management review process
Balanced Scorecard Diagnostics is a must-read for everyone who wants to get the most out of the Balanced Scorecard in use at their organizations.